Retrieving your SimpleHelp Server log file
SimpleHelp logs all server information to the SimpleHelp server log. This article describes how the server log can be retrieved for monitoring or troubleshooting.
Using the Technician client
If your server is up and running, and you are able to log into the server, then you can retrieving the server log through the Administrative Console using the following steps:
- Log into the SimpleHelp technician console as the SimpleHelpAdmin user.
- Select the Administration tab.
- Select the Server category.
- Select the Server Log tab.
- You now have the option to view the server log, or to download it to disk.
Locating the log file on disk
If your server is not starting correctly then SimpleHelp will still log the reason to the server.log file. In this case the file must be retrieved from the SimpleHelp installation:
- Log into the machine where the SimpleHelp server is running.
- Locate the SimpleHelp server installation. On Windows this is typically C:\Program Files\SimpleHelp
- Locate the file called server.log
If your log file is large
If you have a large log file and need to send it to SimpleHelp support then often simply zipping the file will produce a much smaller one since the textual content of the log file will often compress very effectively.